In schools or workplaces, have washable, breathable mats at entrances to trap dirt and pollutants carried indoors on shoes.
In the home, remove shoes at the entrance. Shoes track in heavy metals, such as lead, larvae that can cause disease in pets, and dirt that gets trapped in the carpet. Switch into indoor slippers or socks kept by the door.
(See more Quick Tips in our other pages.)
Spring is Rainy Season
Issue: Biological Pollutants
Why It’s Important? Mold growth can lead to health impacts: Allergic Reactions, Asthma, Irritant Effects, and Opportunistic Infections
Explanation: Heavy rains produce the right environment for moisture intrusion that lead to mold growth.
Solution: Check gutter, downspout and downspout extension functions and repair and reconnect as necessary. Grade your property away from the home. Have your home assessed for moisture content including moisture in materials.
HOW WE HELP
Healthy Spaces helps you understand how your indoor environment impacts your health and guides you to healthy solutions. We focus on identifying issues that may pose health problems and recommend ways that can help you create a healthier indoor environment to benefit your family’s health.
- INVESTIGATION OF INDOOR ENVIRONMENTS:
Various service levels are offered, from basic assessments to comprehensive investigations, with the ability to focus on issues affecting indoor air or water quality and electro-magnetic exposures. Leaks & Moisture Assessments determine where water is intruding or infiltrating.
Mold Testing & Investigation:
Testing for mold (surface or air samples) using standard protocols, identifying sources that cause mold and ways to resolve them.
Allergens, Chemicals (eg., formaldehyde, VOCs, pesticides) or Water Quality
- GAS LINE CHECK:
Checking for frequently undetected leaks (below the odor threshold) in all accessible portions of the gas line, from meter to appliances, and clearly identify leaks. PECO does NOT come out to detect or repair these types of leaks.
- ELECTROMAGNETIC FIELD ASSESSMENTS:
Measuring low frequency and investigating radio/microwave frequency fields generated in homes to find solutions to reduce impact on sleep in adults and reduce the risk of childhood leukemia in young children.
- CONSULTATION ON BUILDING OR BUYING A HEALTHY HOME:
Guiding you on healthier green materials, paints, furnishings, best construction practices, and onsite assessments.
- SETTING UP A NURSERY:
Identifying safer, non-toxic products and materials for your baby’s room, where he/she will spend most of his/her time sleeping and developing. Gift certificates are available.
- HEALTHY HOME/OFFICE CHECKUP:
Consultation on key pollutants in the home, including: Carbon Monoxide (CO); Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs); Moisture intrusion; Mold growth; Allergens; Dust Mites; Pests; Pesticides; Particles; Building Materials.
- RESEARCH ON ENVIRONMENTAL LINKS TO HEALTH & MEDICAL CONDITIONS:
Based on your symptoms and/or medical conditions, identifying environmental factors in the home or office that can harm you and recommend ways to reduce exposure.
- OTHER SERVICES:
We are available to discuss your situation with you and adjust our services to meet your needs.
When you contact Healthy Spaces, you will reach a qualified professional interested in helping you address your questions and concerns.
- INITIAL CONVERSATION AND NEEDS ASSESSMENT: From our first phone conversation, we will listen to your questions and concerns and ask you questions so we understand your needs. We will offer the appropriate type and level of service based on this discussion. If you wish to proceed, we will schedule an appointment to evaluate your home/office or health issue and send you a questionnaire, if applicable, that will help us in our evaluation.
- PRELIMINARY RESEARCH: We will conduct any preliminary research necessary associated with your concerns. Depending on level of service, we will try to identify sources outside the home or office that may also impact the indoor environment.
- EVALUATION: When we visit, we discuss the completed questionnaire with you. We ask you to give us a tour of the space where we make our observations. We then conduct our evaluation. We’ll use whatever instruments are relevant for our evaluation, for example, moisture detection or combustible gases detection equipment (to detect natural gas leaks or off-gassing chemicals). Prior to leaving, we will debrief with you to discuss basic observations.
- LABORATORY TESTING: If necessary, we will conduct tests that require laboratory analyses, such as air sampling for molds, allergens, or for chemicals. Lab testing is at an additional charge. This is only done with your consent.
- WRITTEN REPORT: We will write a report based on the evaluation, if included in the service. The report we send to you will include our findings, any laboratory results, prioritized recommendations, action steps, and resources you may need.
- DISCUSS FINDINGS: A post-visit phone consultation to discuss any questions you may have regarding your report.
- ADDITIONAL SERVICES: Consultation and project management services can be arranged, as determined through discussion and agreement with the client.
“Thank you for a very thorough report. I really appreciate
your conscientious approach to all my questions and concerns.”
Mary, Bucks County